There is a unique range of issues associated with skilled nursing facilities including balancing the needs of the residents with the wishes of families and friends, all while facing cuts in patient-care reimbursement rates and spiraling litigation. Morrison Mahoney’s attorneys routinely handle cases of alleged malpractice against skilled nursing and assisted living facilities and home care providers involving decubitus ulcers, improper use of restraints, physical and sexual abuse, and malnutrition. Our attorneys have represented facilities in matters involving guardianship issues and visitation rights, claims of negligent security resulting in assault and murder, and permanent injunctive relief against disruptive family members who threaten the health and safety of staff and residents.
From our representation of the nation’s largest nursing home chain to our representation of regional and independent nursing home and assisted living facility operators, our attorneys are experienced in the increasingly complex challenges facing the industry presented by the difficulties in maintaining high quality care in the ever-changing medical world. Our attorneys speak at risk management seminars, write articles on areas of concern, address elder law issues affecting residents, and serve on malpractice tribunals to screen cases for compliance with the Massachusetts malpractice statute.
In addition to defense of malpractice claims, our attorneys have practical experience in all aspects of senior care litigation an consulting, including:
- Crisis management and oversight of investigation into abuse and neglect of residents
- Defense of civil enforcement actions involving Medicare/Medicaid fraud
- Representation of administrators, nurses, and CNAs in licensing board matters
- Handling appeals of involuntary discharges
- Assistance in preparing plans of correction and requests for informal dispute resolution
- Petitioning for guardianship and/or conservatorship on behalf of the facility for residents in need of these services
- Collection and recovery of service fees
- Reviewing and advising on the interpretation of contracts for service
For more information on how Morrison Mahoney can assist you, please contact any of our skilled nursing and senior care facilities attorneys.