Mark is of counsel in the Manchester office of Morrison Mahoney. He has practiced law in New Hampshire since 1980, focusing on personal-injury claims and defense, including catastrophic-injury cases, complex civil litigation, medical malpractice, and insurance-coverage disputes.
Having practiced New Hampshire coverage law for 39 years, Mark brings decades of experience representing insurers, policyholders, and insurance agents in hundreds of cases throughout the state. He has briefed or argued more than twenty New Hampshire Supreme Court and United States Circuit Court of Appeals cases that have resulted in written opinions, most involving insurance-coverage issues.
Mark’s most recent success was a 2017 New Hampshire Supreme Court decision that followed years of litigation in a complex insurance case. Upholding the lower court, the Supreme Court found $6 million in coverage for a staffing company accused of negligence in placing an employee at a hospital who infected 36 patients with Hepatitis-C.
One of his proudest accomplishments was achieving a settlement of all claims arising out of a 1996 dam collapse in Alton, New Hampshire. Mark represented the owners of the dam as both insureds/defendants in the many claims against them for death, injury, and property damage and as plaintiffs in the suits that the owners brought against the designers and builders of the dam. By combining aggressive litigation tactics with an innovative mediation process, Mark was able to obtain a global settlement for his clients within just over one year from the date of the catastrophe.
Mark has lectured frequently on litigation techniques, insurance-coverage law, and the ethical issues arising from the “tripartite relationship” among lawyers, insurers, and insureds.
Mark is also AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest recognition possible in the legal industry, for his professionalism and ethics.
Prior to joining Morrison Mahoney, from 2001 through 2018, Mark was a managing partner at Mallory & Friedman, PLLC, of Concord, New Hampshire.
- Massachusetts Bay Insurance Company v. American Healthcare Services Assn., 170 N.H. 342 (2017)
- Catholic Medical Center v. Executive Risk Indemnity Co., 151 N.H. 699 (2005)
- Lane’s Case, 153 N.H. 10 (2005)
- Sintros v. Horace Mann Ins. Co., 148 N.H. 748 (2002)
- Brouillard v. Prudential Properties & Casualty Ins. Co., 141 N.H. 710 (1997)
- Hudson v. Farm Family Mut. Ins. Co., 142 N.H. 144 (1997)
- Merrimack School District v. National School Bus Service, Inc., 140 N.H. 9 (1995)
- Prudential Property & Casualty Ins. Co. v. Dumont, 136 N.H. 569 (1992)
- Limoges v. Horace Mann Ins. Co., 134 N.H. 474 (1991)
- Volpe v. Prudential Property & Casualty Ins. Co., 802 F.2d 1 (1st Cir. 1986)
- Mayer v. Town of Hampton, 127 N.H. 81 (1985)
- Aubin v. Fudala, 782 F.2d 280 (1st Cir, 1982)
- Condon v. United Steelworkers, 683 F.2d 590 (1st Cir.1982)
Noteworthy Accomplishments, Honors & Awards